Chronological Events:

1921                Fr. Ildefonso Carranza founded Escuela Catolica – the first parochial school. It opened with Grades One and Two.

1923                Fr. Deogracias Javier succeeded Fr. Carranza. He opened Grades Three and Four.

1931                Rev. Fr. Marcelo Fajardo and Arsenio Nicdao completed the primary school.

                       May 23, 1938 -  Rev. Mother Alice de St. Paul Huchery, Mother Provincial of the Congregation of the Sisters of SPC, sent five sisters with Mother Agnes de St. Anne as the first Superior to manage Escuela Catolica. The Kindergarten class was opened.

1939                Grades Five, Six and Seven were opened. Escuela Catolica was then changed to San Miguel Catholic School.

1940                San Miguel Catholic Institute (SMCI) emerged. Mother Agnes got the permit for a Junior High School class.

1941                The Third Year class was opened. World War II however, interrupted the classes. Fr. Resurreccion suggested the evacuation of the Sisters to Manila. Mother Agnes, together with the Sisters, evacuated to the mountains, and eventually went to Manila.

1942                Mother Agnes and the Sisters resumed classes in San Miguel.

1944                Sr. Luisa Martha Meris succeeded Mother Agnes. She opened the Fourth Year High School class on June 3, 1944. The first high school graduation took place in March, 1945. Massive rehabilitation was done to the school. Through her guidance the first yearbook, The Builders, was published.

1946                Sr. Romaine Martha became the third Superior. She worked hard to improve the school. She succeeded in increasing the enrolment of the high school by seeking a permit from the Provincial Superior and the Bureau of Private Schools for co-education.

1949                Sr. Joseph de Jesus de Ocampo succeeded Sister Romaine. Through her efforts, the convent was repainted and repaired.

1956                Sr. Rose of St. Joseph Encarnacion succeeded Sr. Joseph de Jesus de Ocampo. The Home Economics and the new High School buildings are tangible proofs of her ability as a manager.

1961                Sr. Mamerta of the Cross Rocero was installed next Superior. In preparation for the SMCI Silver Jubilee, massive repairs and minor construction works were undertaken.

1963                SMCI’s Silver Jubilee. Festive and colorful activities marked the celebration.

1964                Sr. Chantal de Joseph Goyena (a native of San Miguel) became the Superior and Directress. Sr. Chantal together with Sr. Mary Florence Echanis were instrumental in opening the College Department.

 1966               The Tertiary Level was opened with an initial enrolment of 97 students for the Education Program.

1967                On July 23, St. Paul School of San Ildefonso was founded as extension school of SMCI. A pilot school in Sibul Springs offering a Kindergarten class was established. Other St. Paul Schools in the nearby towns followed. Schools in San Rafael and San Antonio (in Nueva Ecija) were also opened.

1968                The College of Commerce and Liberal Arts were opened together with the Secretarial Course. The school assumed the status of a college and was known as SPCSM. They held classes at the House of the Santiago-Mossessgeld.

1970                The First Commencement Rites for the College was held. This was also the time when the Community of the Sisters of SPC purchased a nine-hectare lot in Salangan, San Miguel, Bulacan through the effort of Sr. Chantal Goyena with Mother La Croix Jesus Ilagan as the Provincial Econome. The said lot was purchased to be the future site of SPCSM.

                       Sr. Marie Gonzague Maquiling became the Superior/Directress. Among her initial projects were the renovation of the building to meet the needs of the apostolate, construction of new offices for the use of the High School and the Grade School Principals, and the extension of the school canteen. School bus and laboratory tables were purchased for the use of the students.

1972                The fencing of the nine-hectare land in Salangan commenced after it was surveyed. To meet the problems of increasing student population, a cottage for the Sisters and two one-story buildings were constructed in Salangan. One building was for the vocational courses and the other for the college students.

1973               The Government Recognition of the Education and Commerce Programs were granted by the Department of Education, Culture and Sports, the following are:

                        a) Bachelor of Science in Education

                        b) Bachelor of Science in Elementary Education

                        c) Bachelor of Science in Commerce

1975                The German Misereor Foundation granted SPCSM a fund for the operation of its vocational courses for the Out-of-School Youth. Finally in 1975, a Government Recognition for Special Vocational Courses (no. 76 and 77 s. 1975) was obtained by Sr. Marie Gonzague. The vocational courses included a two-year course in Agricultural Technology, a six-month course in Poultry-Raising, Swine-Raising, Dressmaking, Tailoring, a five-month course in Stenography and a one-year course in Cosmetology. The nine-hectare lot was fully utilized for planting rice, poultry and swine raising. Classes were held at five o’clock in the afternoon to seven o’clock in the evening. These were made possible under the supervision of Sr. Mary Esther Teston and by the competent members of the faculty from Bulacan National Agricultural School. The termination of the Misereor funding and the rise of agricultural and technical schools in nearby towns seemed to render these technical courses unnecessary.

1979                Through the efforts of Sr. Marie Therese Crisologo, the Department of Education, Culture and Sports approved the following majors for the Bachelor of Science in Secondary Education course: Filipino, History and Mathematics. Likewise, Accounting was approved for Bachelor of Science in Commerce.

1983                The Sisters’ Convent was constructed in Salangan.

1985                Sr. Marie Rosanne Mallillin enabled students’ clubs and organizations to promote activities for personal growth and development. She worked on the intensification of Paulinian core values among the students and the faculty. Student leaders were sent to national conferences and conventions to tap their potentials. It was under her administration that the High School Department gained a very respectable position in the National College Entrance Examination.

1986                (October) The High School Department transferred to the Salangan campus and the College Department to the Poblacion campus to make college education more accessible to San Miguel clientele.

1987                The second floor of the High School Administration Building in Salangan was constructed. Paulinians also had an active involvement in community and religious activities in the parish.

1988                The Golden Jubilee of SPCSM. It marked the 50 years of service to the town of San Miguel and nearby communities. Eucharistic celebration, parade, cultural programs, and reunions highlighted the significant event.

1989                The Department of Education, Culture and Sports granted the approval of the Bachelor of Secondary Education Course major in Values Education.

                        The Basketball court near the Sisters’ convent and the covered walk leading to the Administration building were constructed.

1991                The most crucial year of SPCSM. Parents of the elementary pupils and the high school students staged a public protest over the issue of tuition fee increase. They had the impression that the increase was not proportionate to the increase in the teachers’ salaries. Thus, they feared for the exodus of the best teachers for greener pastures.

1992                Sister Agnes Therese Teves, Provincial Superior, appointed Sr. Sonia Milagros Checa as Directress and College Dean. She was a blessing to the school. She faced a great challenge of winning back the confidence of parents in SPCSM and its identity for academic excellence. Sister Sonia, equipped with a Ph.D. in Educational Management as well as teaching and administrative expertise, handled the critical issues with faith, prayer and professionalism.

                        Her eight years of stay proved her worthy of the position. She worked painstakingly on the curriculum and instruction, faculty, student services, Christian formation, physical plan and financial stability of SPCSM.

                        Her initial step was a moratorium on tuition fee increase for two years but she increased salaries just the same. She won the hearts of the parent-leaders who staged the protest the previous year and who became supporters of her development plans.

                        She opened Bachelor of Science in Accountancy which was later granted government recognition.

1993                The Grade School building was constructed.

1994                The Elementary Department transferred to the newly constructed building. DECS approved the opening of a Two-Year Office Management with Computer Literacy course.

1995                The School Gymnasium was constructed and blessed honoring Msgr. Honorio Resurreccion. It was made possible through the collection of a development fee from the students.

1996                Construction of the College building.

1998                In order to meet the demands for tertiary education, the college applied for and was granted the following priority programs of the Region and the CHED:

                                    BEED   - major in Early Childhood Education

                                    BSE      - major in Library Science

1999                Christian Formation Program was strengthened. Basic Ecclesial Communities was introduced not only as a weekly ritual but a way of life. Gospel reading and sharing became the motivating force for the integration of Paulinian Values.

Onward to the 21st Century

2000                Sister Sonia worked for the purchase of a two-hectare lot and the construction of a building at San Juan, San Ildefonso to be the future site of St. Paul School of San Ildefonso. This school is an extension of SPCSM to cater to clients from the said town.

2001                Sister Nilda Masirag took over the administration of SPCSM. She worked tirelessly on the development of the curriculum and instruction, faculty and staff towards academic excellence. Together with Sr. Mary Asella Cariaga, a proposed ladderized curriculum for the Bachelor of Science in Computer Science was conceptualized.

                        She also undertook renovations of offices and improvement of added facilities. Environmental concern was included in her program. She engaged students in various projects like tree planting, cleaning of Biak-na-Bato, zero waste management and landscaping.

SPCSM was able to produce accountants.

2002                Sister Victoria Lavente undertook the administration of the College as Directress and Dean. She worked on the upgrading of salaries of faculty and the staff. Repairs and remodeling of the different offices were done and the gymnasium was constructed.

                        SPCSM hosted the cluster celebration of the Centennial of the Sisters of SPC. Different activities highlighted the affair. Student emancipation was also achieved.

2004                Sister Helen Malubay became the new Directress, College Dean and General Services Officer of the College. During her term, the rigorous requirement for the recognition of the Ladderized Curriculum for BSCS was finally granted by CHED. Empowered by her skills in effective administration from Warnborough University in England where she obtained her doctoral degree, she started working for the school’s accreditation. Series of meetings and departmental workshops were conducted and the Key Result Areas (KRAs) in achieving the vision-mission of the College were identified. The five-year development plans and programs, particularly on the strengthening of curriculum and instruction and human resource development of SPCSM, were prioritized. She likewise emphasized the importance of active involvement in the diocesan parish programs and activities. This included both short-term and long-term plans which were documented through the Key Results Areas. Such implementation provided satisfaction to the students, their parents and SPCSM personnel.

                        She introduced Professional Portfolio Management for all faculty and staff.

                        New computer laboratories for the Tertiary Department, High School and Elementary School were put up and the Science laboratories of the High School and Grade School were renovated as well to meet the current needs of the students. Multi-media and innovations in classroom teaching and strategies were introduced to encourage effectiveness in teaching and in other student-centered activities.

                        Regular in-house professional and spiritual development programs for faculty and staff were held for holistic formation.

                        Active involvement in the diocesan and parish activities and programs were prioritized.

                        Streamlining of student services and facilities for academic excellence was of paramount importance. The Academic Board was formed and efforts to live out the Vision-Mission, goals, values and Paulinian work ethics were emphasized.

                        New programs were designed and offered to meet the present market demand. Facilities were modernized and repaired to ensure effectiveness and safety. The construction of the perimeter fence was started.

                        Demands of the clientele such as Care Giver Course, and a Ladderized Course in Hotel and Restaurant Management were looked into through feasibility studies; eventually applications were filed in the offices of CHED and TESDA. Short-term courses were offered on Culinary Arts, Reflexology, Cell Phone Repairs, etc.

                        During her short stint, she involved both faculty and personnel on matters that concern them including, among others, the writing and ratification of the Faculty and Staff Manuals.

                        The Directress Council worked harmoniously and actively as a body in matters involving the administration of the College. The Administrative Manual was written.

                        Office policies, systems and procedures started to be written and documented through encouragement.

2005                Construction of the fence and rehabilitation of the main feeder line were completed.

                        Basic Education Library and T.H.E. Building were renovated.

                        On-line Building was constructed to serve global needs and re-enhancement of the use of technology among faculty and students.

2006                The General Council in Rome approved the merger of St. Paul College of San Miguel and St. Paul University of Quezon City.

                        Construction of the College of Nursing Building was started.



        The history of SPUSM will go on by the grace of God...

                 from its humble beginning and its glorious past...

                         quietly proclaiming the goodness and the love of God...

                                    toward its shining future.

Make a Free Website with Yola.